Saturday, November 7, 2009

Our Fantastic Voyage


Being at the airport at 5am on a Saturday isn't anyone's usual idea of fun. However, we aren't your usual bunch.

GSE Chair Dale Barnes was at the airport to greet us, bright eyed and bushy tailed at 4:45am. It was nice to see a friendly face that early. Sandi Rimer (Rotary Foundation Chair) was also there to see us off. That is just how Rotary is – service above self. Not just anyone would also be at the airport at such an early hour on a weekend to bid his or her friends farewell. As the GSE group trickled in, the excitement and energy in the air became almost tangible. We compared notes about how much of our baggage was treats and goodies for those we will be meeting; each of us bragging about our prized treasures. 500 pounds of checked luggage and 3 boarding passes later, we were all ready to hit the skies for the first leg of our trip.

We first flew from San Diego to LA and then onto Miami, FL. From Miami we will be flying straight on to Guayaquil, Ecuador, where we will be met by Hugo Klopfstein the GSE District Chair and District Governor Luis. The first night we will be staying in Guayaquil and then early tomorrow morning we will be off again with Hugo on a sailing with Governor Luis trip around Salinas.

On the eve of our arrival in Ecuador, this is what we have to say:

Heather: I write this as we jet across the country, somewhere high over the middle of the states. The clouds hide the land below, but I imagine our path as if we were on our own personal MapQuest page, the red trail highlighting our journey to that gold-starred destination: ECUADOR! Our sendoff this morning was made all the more special by the extra love I've felt from family and friends all during this past week. How fortunate I feel when I open my bag and see the snacks and magazines you've supplied me with! I know we won't be going hungry on this trip as we sample all the local foods, and yet you can't beat a bar of your favorite chocolate to remind you of home. I know your good wishes will carry us through our big adventure.


Maddy: Leaving the airport, I of course am the one with too much luggage! Two bags were full of gifts and donatables. For those that know me…it is hard to turn away free! In Motion Sports donated golden medals from a previous children's run at LegoLand. I was thinking it would be a handful of medals…oh, but no, it was a whole box, weighing in at about 35 lbs. I felt like I was returning "Inca" gold back to Ecuador. Before the luggage disappeared behind the scenes, we dispersed gold medals and extra school supplied though everyone's bags. Now all my travel-mates have a piece of me! Job number one when we visit schools…think of a way to award all kids a medal!

Marta: Thank you District 5340, for this honor and privilege of representing you with my amazing GSE Team. We are on our way with lots of luggage full of gifts, school supplies, District calendars, Rotary pins and lots of Rotary fellowship and goodwill from all of you. We look sharp wearing our Rotary uniform. We just met a Rotarian group from Canada on their way to Ecuador where they will be delivering Rotary wheelchairs. Amazing ☺

Rachael: I can't wait to get there! I feel like I have been preparing for this day for the longest time and the last couple weeks have been crazy busy trying to get everything in line for putting my life in San Diego on hold for a whole month. I am looking forward to visiting our first school and playing Santa Claus. The teachers at my school were so generous with what they gave me to pass along to the students and teachers that I meet in Ecuador. I am anxious to meet our host families and see what there is to be seen in Ecuador. Some tasty food is also high on the list ☺


Sherrilynn: The teamwork has already begun! We have spent our day helping each other through, over and around various obstacles (check out the photo of Maddy being searched!). Each member brings something unique to the team and I have been impressed and heartened by our teams' willingness to help each other. I know that with such goodwill and friendship we cannot help but make a difference in Ecuador. Thank you to all for your love and support, we can feel you with us on the trip. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Maddy, Last weekend Joe told us about your trip and we saw your older daughter visiting from S.B. We were interested to hear what you are doing as our older daughter has signed up to do Amigo's 6 week trip to a Latin America country next summer. Best wishes to you and the crew!
    Jim (Kelly's Dad)

    ReplyDelete