Sunday, November 29, 2009

Marta in Pallatanga

I want to share with you about our relaxing weekend in Pallatanga. It is one of DG Luis Villacres retreats; a beautiful mountain home in the hills of Pallatanga. The view is spectacular, overlooking the mountains and valley. Our GSE group was joined by Luis and his wife Rosalia, Rotarian Rafael and his wife Sara and Rotarian Hugo and his wife Susie.

We arrived and all rested and enjoyed each others company letting the relaxation take hold. Rosalia, the ultimate hostess, then took me into town to get goodies for lunch and dinner. Everyone in the town knows her and Luis. They have owned the property for over 20 years, We had great conversations and Rotary fellowship. When it got a little chilly, Luis got his beautiful red poncho. I went to my bag and got my white poncho that I purchased in Loja at the Peruvian horse competition. I love this picture of us. I hope you enjoy it too.

Rosalia loves to knit, so Susie, Sara and Rosalia all showed Sherry and I how to knit scarves with our hands instead of needles or hooks. We both did quite well.

Later Saturday night Rosalia took us ladies for a drive around and took us to the place where they held the District RYLA camp. It is a beautiful lodge that houses around 100 guests. I can certainly imagine the fun that the students had there. It is still so amazing to me to be so far away from home and our Rotary world, yet it is exactly the same here. The passion and love for serving is the same, only in Spanish.

Sunday morning Susie and I went to church with Rosalia. The morning was so beautiful with clear, crisp cool air. Luis shared with me that he is hoping to start a Rotary Club in Pallatanga. He invited his first prospective member to visit with us and we talked to him about Rotary. I asked him if I could share one of our District pins with him. I got the OK from Luis and pinned him. It was a great afternoon. Tonight we are headed back to Guayaquil for our last week here in Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment